I don’t fucking care how well you can bake some unicorn muffins or if you have a secret touch when preparing burgers on a BBQ.
This is about the basics of cooking, not fancy shit or survival/student meals. Learn the basics well and then, all the complex things will look much easier.
How do we learn to cook?
If you cook rice and add add steamed broccoli and carrot to it and the next day you cook rice and add steamed mushrooms and peas, how many dishes can you cook?
JUST ONE and it’s called rice with something.
What I’m saying here is:
- Learn as many methods of preparing and cooking food as possible and you’ll be able to prepare many different dishes by combining techniques, getting creative and swapping ingredients. 👍
- Learn just recipes and you’ll get stuck cooking the same fucking things over and over again. 👎
Types of food
These are the most essential things to know when you start cooking. Click on each link to read about it:
- How to cook rice
- How to cook pasta
- How to cook dried legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils, split peas and soybeans)
- How to cook meat
Here you have some helpful tools that can help you along the way:
- Rice-to-water ratio calculator
- Oven temperatures for almost anything
- Roasting meat time calculator (from the BBC good food page)