Do you want to prove to your mum that you’ve finally learned how to cook? Make her this nice risotto and you’ll her her approval straight away.
If your mum’s Italian though, just prepare hummus or something completely different, her risotto is gonna be better than yours.
- Once upon a time there was a pan with a bit of olive oil and diced onion on it. This recipe starts like many others, just slowly fry the onion for about 10 minutes.
- Is it soft and slightly coloured but not burned? Good. Now add the mushrooms and stir for a little bit.
- Turn the heat up and add the rice to the pan -use risotto rice or a similar one, not long grain or basmati rice, we’re not making fucking curry! Fry it for a couple of minutes and then pour a generous splash of white wine into the pan and stir again.
- Once the wine has been absorbed by the rice, the alcohol has evaporated and you’re crying because you can’t drink that anymore, it’s time to lower the heat, cover the rice in broth. JUST COVER IT, don’t make deep pool of broth and the rice floating around, this is not a fucking soup.
- Let it simmer for a while, keep stirring the rice and tasting it from time to time. If it needs a bit of salt add it, if it needs more broth, add it.
- Once the rice is “al dente” -cooked enough but harder than softer- the broth should be almost gone. Not quite? Manage the broth better next time.
- Now take the risotto off the heat, add some grated parmesan, parsley, give it a last stir and cover with a lid for a couple of minutes. This will make it creamy and perfectly cooked.
- Finally you can serve it with a bit of extra parmesan and parsley on top.
The Fucking Chef